Lots of new releases, both in the form of software like Android 6.0 Marshmallow and hardware, in the form of two new Nexus phones, 2 Chromecast devices and the Pixel C. Also Google Cardboard success and news about Nest.
This is part 10 in the Latest from Google series.
Announcing Accelerated Mobile Pages Project (AMP)
Last week, Google launched the Accelerated Mobile Pages Project (AMP), for a faster, open mobile web. The idea is to dramatically improve mobile web performance, through the open AMP HTML framework, which also entails the idea of making it easy for publishers to reach out and make their content as fast and accessible as possible to everyone.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow released
The new Android 6.0 Marshmallow started rolling out, with features such as Now on Tap and the ability to directly translate text within the app you’re currently using.
Google Cardboard & reach
The Cardboard developer documentation is also available in 10 languages, and now Google StreetView is also available in Cardboard!
Keynoting Future of Web Apps in London
I keynoted the Future of Web Apps conference in London last week, talking about the web, its future, comparing to native apps, new web features and much more. My slides are available and hope to share the recording of the talk later:
New devices: Nexus phones, new Chromecasts and Pixel C
Nest & Nest Weave
Nest announced New ways to work with Nest. Together with Nest Weave, a communication protocol for devices in your home.
Some other recommend reading:
- Introducing Brotli: a new compression algorithm for the internet.
Code on GitHub.
- Android app size limit on the Play store increased from 50MB to 100MB. Extra helpful for complex apps & games.
- Google’s Cute Cars And The Ugly End Of Driving. That autonomous vehicles are utterly inevitable.
- Spotify app update adds support for the new Chromecast
- Mobile Searches Surpass Desktop Searches on Google For The First Time
- Facebook v. Google in digital video battle: YouTube is 11X bigger
- Chrome team have a Slack channel if you’re into web development! Join at http://bit.ly/1QW6Tej, login at http://bit.ly/1QW6Tei